Skip to main content

Embroidery photography and illustrations

 
As I question myself what is "to be an artist", my curiosity take my skills into another level to experiment with different media.

 All this for the sake to express my emotions or ideas in a new way. Embroidery has been a subject I find exciting and beautiful, and since a few years ago, I've been playing with the possibilities of illustration and embroidery. In more or less successful outcomes, this post is dedicated to my favorite try-outs which I separate in three different categories.

Coeur, watercolours, inks & thread on paper by Salas, E. (2020)



Embroidery illustrations by Salas, E.


These illustrations are a few examples of how by incorporating a few strings and patterns of embroidery as part the illustration, can pop out the main idea or feeling. 

Even if it's just to add a bit of colour, or mere experimentation in my sketchbooks, I enjoy the process and the results.

Embroidery photography

These photos were taken by me in 2008-2009, in my hometown in Mexico. The film was printed on mate paper and I didn't know I would use these photos in some other way in that time. But I found them in November 2020, and experimented with them. Maybe my gloomy feelings took over with these words. What do you think? Too sad? I think so too. 

Embroidery photo #3 by Salas, E. (2020)
Embroidery photo #1 by Salas, E. (2020)   
Set of embroidery photos by Salas, E. (2020)
Embroidery photo #2, by Salas, E. (2020)

Embroidery

Finally, the last 'category' it's wanna be and rather disorganized 'cross stitch' on fabric. 

Embroidery by Salas, E. (2020)

This is taken from an illustration I made in 2018 , and developed into other illustrations.

But octopuses have been present in my art since so many years, I can't remember exactly what is the very first octopus girl I ever made.. (I explained it has nothing to do with hentai on my IG account, but maybe I should do another post about the whole theme?). 

This embroidery was really fun to make and it's a mess in the back of the fabric. Luckily, it cannot be seen thanks it's in a frame. 

 

Embroidery #2 by Salas, E. (2020)
 

This is a phrase by Leonora Carrington, and it translates in English as "
I’m ambidextrous, like the fools".

The hands are mine, and if you notice it, yes, both hands are left! This is because I tend to maniacally draw my left hand when insomnia strikes (which it's very often!). 

 And this last one sums it up. The phrase is by CB Hoy

Embroidery #3 by Salas, E. (2020)

 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eve, the 1st victim of mysogyny

  Eve/ La Malinche by Salas, E. (2021) Eve/ La Malinche by Salas, E. (2021) Every March 8 marks the International Women's Day, a date that, more than a celebration, is an occasion to reflect on the femicides, discrimination and violence faced by women in all areas. What it's "femicide"? It's the murder of a woman for reasons of gender.  Since the beginning of the times, women have been unfairly stroked out as villains through misogynist, speeches/ ideas. And boosted by -some- religions, women have been seen as "an object that needs to be punished".  In modern days, some countries like mine, Mexico, women are still seen not only as inferior, but in several cases, are dehumanized and the consequences of this it's the sad statistics: 10 women are murdered daily in Mexico alone.  But what are the origins of this gender violence and misogyny?  In the pre-Roman era, Egyptians have some of the greatest female monarchs in history, and their religion enhanced

Betty & Barney Hill's alien abduction

  UFO illustration, scanned (by Salas, S. 2022)  Betty & Barney Hill's alien abduction (1961) it's the 1st case documented and researched by the US government. It would kick off an extensive inquiry by the Project Blue Book, that investigated UFO sightings, leaded by Dr Allen Hynek. Even if in later years he had to contradict his discoveries (as a government's attempt to cover the investigation), he was the first to classify the Close Encounter system, and it's considered the father of the concept of scientific analysis of reports and evidence left by the UFO's.  The Interrupted Journey, a 1966 book by the author Jhon G. Fuller was collaborated with Betty & Barney Hill's testimonials, which were taken after separated hypnosis therapies conducted by a psychiatrist (continue...) 'UFO' illustration first sketch on paper, ink pens. (By Salas, S. 2022) It all started with a spontaneous trip to Niagara Falls: on their way back to their home in NH, as t